Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blogs cannot live on large parties alone....

Last week, after Taco Tuesday and a little frantic dishwashing, I packed up my family and headed east for yet another family party. (Luckily this one had a caterer.) As I mingled among a sea of 168 guests, I was both happy and surprised to consider the majority of them friends.  How did this happen? Well, through the years, my mother hosted her share of dinners, lunches, and the occasional ‘wine and dine.’ For at least two generations, my family spent most of their social time around a dinner table, to eat, talk, and love. This seems to create quite a platform.  To me, there is nothing like a large dinner party: people sitting on any stable surface with a plate balanced on their lap while the house is loud with laughter. I can’t imagine a better celebration of life’s simplicity.  So, to keep these large parties meaningful, I think it is due time to invest in the attendants with some one-on-one attention.  I have a feeling there are some looming stories that weren’t shared over the queso bowl.  



This weekend, two friends will join my husband and me for the epitome of casual dinner: homemade pizzas. Now, in case you were wondering, these pizzas will be served on freshly baked crusts... I’m no slacker. 


Menu: 
Mixed Greens Salad 
Buona Lisa Pizza 
Venetian Rolled Pizza
And, still feeling proud of last week’s Cinnamon Cupcake save, dessert will be Martha Stewart’s Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes. 


Now, as luck would have it these old friends appear to have dramatically different political views than us.  Perhaps we should keep some topics off-limits?  Maybe just enjoy a large amount of wine.... 

1 comment:

  1. you are too brave for having a party in the same week the entire family is going out of town! but, because your name is lori pierce...no challenge for you babe! you rock!

    ReplyDelete