Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Showdown

Easter: childhood memories of mint green and white striped dresses, white flats, and a crowded church.  In my early years as an adult, Easter was not a holiday I much celebrated.  I would spend the afternoon at the movies, perhaps throw in a family dinner, but nothing big.  Enter my children.  The return of the pastels, church, and dyed eggs. This weekend, with the table set in all things pink and two dozen eggs gracing the centerpiece, friends and family will bring wine and egg salad recipes for an afternoon of food and celebration. Our menu:
Asparagus Gruyere Tart
Carrot Vichyssoise
Cheddar Cornbread with Dill (I have to use that dill from party #29)
Spring Salad
Tuscan Lemon Roasted Chicken
Lemon Bars with Homemade Ice Cream
After my New Jersey soiree, a dear friend sent me a copy of the Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics.  After pouring over this book all week, I’ve learned that Ina’s brilliance lies in good product and simple ingredients cooked to perfection.  I have an experiment in mind: the chicken served at party #28 is my favorite meal.  The marinade consists of 3 different vinegars, bacon fat, olive oil, shallots, a seasoning blend and fresh lemon juice.  This week, the chicken marinade consists of lemon juice, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. I’m curious to taste the difference and label a favorite.  Bells and whistles or plain and simple?  A bit of an egg hunt on its own.   

No comments:

Post a Comment