Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I'll get you my pretty... and your little dog too!

Obviously I love the dynamics of a dinner party.  However, there is something to be said for the freedom of a cocktail party.  Rather than chained to the dinner table, it is perfectly acceptable to wander. You can sit in the living room or head into the kitchen, pull someone into the den to gossip about a person who just arrived.  I don’t do that.  
Problem is, I rarely like cocktail party food.  Crackers, cheese, perhaps a little caviar, a few grapes; a girl gets hungry.  So, what is a good meal that fills you up without chaining you to a table? Sandwiches. 


Now, I did not immediately consider making a sandwich cooking.  Then I met the $9 California Connection from Central Market.  Roasted chicken breast, caramelized onions, sun dried tomato aioli, some kind of pesto, and cheese all on a toasted baguette....  I saw heaven, and it is wrapped in parchment.  I now own a cookbook dedicated to sandwiches.  


‘Wichcraft... I love the name, I love Tom Colicchio, I love everything from the inspiration for this restaurant, to the slow roasted tomatoes on the turkey sandwich. So this week some of my ‘wichy-est friends will be stopping by for a little salad on a stick (Iowa State Fair does this...who knew the mid west could be so creative), and the following ‘Wichcraft: 


Mozzarella and Provolone with roasted tomatoes and black olives
Roasted turkey with avocado, bacon, balsamic onion marmalade, and mayonnaise
Tuna and roasted tomato melt
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake


So turkey, tuna, and cheese; does it call for white or red?  
How about both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment