Friday, August 27, 2010

The Culinary High Dive


With the Hawaiian sun blazing, I stood on this thirty foot cliff and prepared to jump.  All I could think about was how much lower this cliff had looked from the beach.   For a full five minutes, I tiptoed towards the edge, only to shuffle back to safety.  And, finally, I jumped.  About a year ago, I decided to host fifty-two parties in fifty-two weeks. As I dawn the completion of this project I’m reminded of those minutes on the cliff.  
Even in my pre-cooking days I always made a good spaghetti.  Eight years ago when I hosted my first dinner party with my then-boyfriend and now-husband, I served spaghetti and garlic bread.  So, as I cook the final chapter of this project, there is only one main course option. This week, my dear friends prove undying love by not only bringing wine, but wearing all white and preparing for an afternoon of bocce ball and Italian comforts.  Our menu:
Antipasto Platter
Onion Focaccia Bread
Salad with herb infused Dressing
Spaghetti Bolognese 
Nigella’s Italian Cheesecake
Chocolate and Citrus Biscotti.
After 51 weeks, 120 justified purchases, 213 bottles of wine and 234 recipes I’m faced with party #52. I’m not sure what I expect from this event, but with wine in one hand and a heavy object in the other it’s bound to be a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment