Friday, May 28, 2010

When was your summer?

The summer of 1994.... That was my summer. 
I had a driver’s license, my parent’s convertible, and a boyfriend I was sure I’d marry.  Of course, September arrived; the boy fell in love with my best friend, and the convertible was replaced by a more sensible car.  However, when I think of summer personified, I conjure up memories from those long afternoons at the lake when my biggest concern involved sunburned shoulders or mosquito bitten feet.  
Sixteen years later, I still love summer.   Armed with my picnic basket and sunscreen, I indulge my nostalgia at the pool with my two kids.  As I watch them run around with friends and exhaust themselves on chlorine and UV rays I, too, hope these fantasy days of sunshine and BBQ never end.  So, on the don of another summer I thought best kick off the season properly with a good old family BBQ.  This week dear friends will tote their kids and a few bottles of wine for a day of food, laughter, and slip and slide.  Our menu:
Caramelized Onion Dip
Michael’s Famous Burgers 
Cynthia’s Calico Beans 
Spring Potato Salad
Blueberry Cobbler 
These are the good new days y’all.... I may even sing sweet home Alabama all summer long.

No comments:

Post a Comment