Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Time for something healthy

Inspired by my peasant food findings during my shut in phase, I have done a quasi cleaning of the pantry and found a plethora of potential. While I do make an effort to buy only what we need, once in a while I fall under the Heidi Swanson spell.  Author of 101 Cookbooks, this vegetarian chef brings new life to whole grains and veggies and  after reading her posts, I find myself throwing bags if quinoa, pumpkin seeds or kombu into the grocery cart without care or clue as how to prepare it.  It was on one of these rants, that I purchased a container of bulgur.  Other than tabboleh, which is not a popular dish in this house, I have never had use for such a grain. But, after a flip through the recipe collection I found the following salad which made for a healthy lunch and a little less clutter in the pantry.  The caramelized onions add deep flavor while the cayenne pepper lends a kick that is immediately cooled from the fresh mint.   Still holding on to some healthy habits before the holidays are in full swing? This is your recipe.

Bulgur and Lentils:
Recipe By: Eating Well Magazine, September/October 2011

2 TB extra virgin olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 TB plus 1 1/4 cup water, divided
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
2/3 cup bulgur
1/4 cup fresh mint diced
1 lemon cut into wedges

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add 2 tablespoons water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, 13 to 15 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper.  
  2. Stir in lentils, bulgur and the remaining 1 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons mint. Serve with the remaining mint, yogurt and lemon.

I prepared the red lentils the day before so this lunch came together rather quickly.  Two days later, the leftovers microwaved up beautifully for a lunch on the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment