Monday, October 18, 2010

Cold Cure

"But mom, it's hot outside!"


It was nearly 100 degrees on a typical mid August evening. I had announced the night's dinner of chicken noodle soup and understandably, my moody pre-teen was not pleased.  Fast forward a few months; it is an 80 degree evening in October and autumn's first cold has settled in on the said pre-teen.  I waited for the formal request, but already planned to cook up a steaming bowl of mom's chicken noodle soup. Regardless of the weather this soup seems to cure allergies, fevers or indescribable funks.  


My mother makes a fantastic chicken soup, and reliably had a pot waiting for me whenever I returned home from college for winter break.  When I began cooking, it was one of the first soups that I was determined to master.  About five years and many recipes later, I am happy to offer my own recipe.  


Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe created by: Lori Pierce
1 TB Grapeseed oil
1 large yellow onion finely diced
3 stalks celery,  chopped
3 medium carrots peeled, and chopped
2 cups cooked chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces*
2 quarts chicken stock
1 and 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 bay leaves
1 cup dried pasta noodles
1 tsp balsamic vinegar


  1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add the onion and stir.  Add the celery and saute until both the onion and celery have softened, about 3-4 minutes.  Add the carrots, stir to combine and cook 3-5 minutes.  Add the chicken, stock, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil skimming off any foam as needed.  
  2. Add the pasta noodles and cook until al dente; I use whatever leftover pasta noodles I have in the pantry, this time it was cavatappi which took about 10 minutes.  Remove from the heat, and stir in the balsamic vinegar.  Serve and enjoy!
The curing power of this soup requires one final step; for the oldest a large hunk of country bread and cup of lemon zinger tea is required.  For the youngest, it is a bowl of the strained broth and well placed noodles, for me a nice dollop of siracha clears out the sinuses, and for the husband it is a bowl covered in saran wrap left in the fridge as a post homework  post homework. Regardless of the side or condiment, we feel fantastic after devouring a generous bowl.  

*If I am without leftover roasted chicken I liberally salt and pepper one whole chicken breast and bake it in a 400 degree oven until fully cooked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment