Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Who's in for a birthday?

Nine years ago I met a wonderful man who was mere weeks away from his 30th birthday...  he was fun, well dressed, and accepted my promise to never cook. Fast forward nearly a decade, we’re married, raising a family, and host weekly dinner parties. 
So what do you give an overly booked student on his monumental 39th birthday?  Vegas on a budget!  For years Michael has talked about having a manly poker group; his dreams of meeting up with friends for an evening of cards and food.  The fact that the kids and I were never included in this fantasy is pure coincidence I’m sure. So, this week as we celebrate the end of his thirties, I have arranged for some hunks of masculine flesh to arrive with wine and dollars for a Royal Flush of an evening. Our menu:
Chipotle Pepper Dip
Pan Fried Onion Dip*
California Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Sandwiches
Buttermilk Birthday Cake
Where am I during this evening of male bonding?  Luckily, Padma is joining Frankie Funtimes and will keep me company, which presents an interesting point: what do a Muslim and a pregnant woman have in common? Dietary restrictions.  While I’m not completely clear on either, I have thrown some chicken breasts into the fridge for last minute substitutions.
*This pan fried onion dip is not to be confused with the caramelized onion dip served at Party #39: we have an onion dip showdown between Martha Stewart and Ina Garten.  Care to make a wager? 

No comments:

Post a Comment